Physical Education is about pupils continuing to apply and develop a broader range of skills, using them in different ways and linking them to make actions and sequences of movement.
It gives children the opportunity to enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. Pupils will be able to evaluate and recognise their own successes.
Without it they would not have opportunities to play in team games and represent their school in sporting events. PE enables children to increase their knowledge of health and fitness and develop their communication skills, resilience, respect plus many more.
It feeds into our school’s vision by pupils have to be respectful to each other and staff, always try their best in everything that they do.
Physical Education is taught across the whole school from the very youngest children in Y3 to those in Year 6.
Our curriculum ensures that our children:
- Are able to use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination.
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending.
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance.
- Perform dances using a range of movement patterns.
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- Can compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
Swimming is taught in Y4 with children expected to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres.
- Use a range of strokes effectively.
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
In addition, our children participate in over 40 different sporting events each year, ranging from festivals to competitions, as well as taking part in national events such as Show Racism The Red Card.
Please see below our curriculum progression grid for Physical Education, detailing how our children progress through knowledge and skills from Year 3 to Year 6:
Physical Education Progression Grid
https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga - Yoga, mindfulness and relaxation designed specially for kids aged 3+, used in schools and homes all over the world.
https://plprimarystars.com/ - Premier League Primary Stars has a wide collection of free, curriculum-linked activities to educate and entertain children at home
https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers - Supermovers programme has plenty of fun curriculum linked resources to get your class moving while they learn, with work in the pipeline to develop videos and resources to use at home.
- ''It's fun and helps you keep fit and healthy''
- ''Playing for the girl's school football team has improved my confidence''
- ''We do lots of different sports and games which is really cool''
- Y5/6 Girls' Football (3rd place)
- Boccia plus (1st place)
- Y5/6 Basketball (3rd place)
- New age kurling (1st place)
- Y5/6 Cricket (city finals 2nd place - county finals 2nd place)
- Y5/6 Girl's Cricket (city finals 2nd place - county finals 3rd place)
- School football team league (2nd place)
- Street Cricket (3rd place)